Owner Relations

Welcome to the Owner Relations website of Mark L. Shidler, Inc.

We strive to maintain an open and mutually beneficial relationship with our mineral, leasehold and landowners and to provide the highest level of customer service.

The role of our owner relations team is to address any issues or concerns that might arise among our landowners and respond in a timely, accurate and thorough manner.

Our Owner Relations Team is always available to answer any questions at 713-222-9291


Changes to Owner Records

Below is a list of documentation required to affect changes to our ownership records for various situations. For questions regarding these requirements please call (713) 481-6489

Address Change

Submit change of address request in writing with signature of owner(s). If the title to the property is held jointly, both owners must sign.

Name Change

A photocopy of marriage certificate, divorce decree reinstating maiden name or other document affecting name change.

Corporate Name Change

Certificate of name change filed with Secretary of State

Corporate Merger

Certificate of Merger filed with Secretary of State. Also, please provide new Tax I.D. Number

Appointment of Guardian or Power of Attorney

Copy of Power of Attorney or Letters of Guardianship

Sale of Interest

Copy of Conveyance Instrument as filed for record in the county or parish where the property is located.

Change in Ownership Due to Divorce

Complete Divorce Decree including any conveyances made and filed for record in the appropriate county/parish.

Transfer of Interest to Trust

Copy of Trust Agreement or Memorandum of Trust along with recorded conveyance in appropriate county/parish.


The following is a list of required documentation to transfer the interest of a deceased persons royalty or working interest:

Will - Probated Through Court:

If an interest owner dies leaving a Will, we will need a copy of the Will, a copy of the Death Certificate, the Letters Testamentary, and Order Admitting Will to Probate. All will need to be filed for record in the county where the property/well is located and then copies provided to us which show the clerks recording information. Once we have been provided with these copies serving to vest record title into the heirs, transfer orders will be prepared and forwarded to the heir for execution. Then we will transfer the interests presently owned by the decedent. You should also provide names, addresses, phone numbers and social security or tax ID numbers for the heirs or assigns in order to set up their account.

If any of the deceased interest owners heirs or assigns are also deceased, we would likewise need a “certified” copy of that heirs Will, etc., filed for record in the county where the property is located, naming his/her heirs or assigns.

No Will - No Probate Through Court:

If the interest owner left no Will, we need a copy of the Death Certificate, Letters of Administration, and an Affidavit of Heirship (individual state laws of descent and distribution will apply as appropriate) executed by a non-interested third party. This document should be executed by a non-family member, should state that the individual executing it has knowledge of the deceased persons family, and also states who the heirs or assigns are along with their addresses. This document should be signed and properly notarized. Both must be filed for record in the county where the property/well is located.

If any of the heirs or assigns are deceased leaving no Will, a Death Certificate and Affidavit of Heirship must be provided naming their heirs or assigns and must be filed for record in the county where the property/well is located.



1099 Information

Federal 1099 MISC forms are mailed by January 31st of each year.

IRS does not require 1099 forms for:

Royalty Income of less than $10 annually

Working Interest Income of less than $600 annually

Vendor payments of less than $600 annually




Common Questions

What is a Division Order?

A Division Order is an authorization for payment by the owner directing the operator to pay the owner in accordance with the decimal interest set out in the Division Order at the address as noted. The owner should always verify the accuracy of the information contained in the Division Order prior to signing and returning the instrument. The owner must provide the correct social security number/tax identification number to the operator to avoid the deduction of back-up withholding as required by the Internal Revenue Service. The owner should maintain a copy of the Division Order for future reference.

When will I receive my Division Order?
Documents regarding a transfer of interest are analyzed for completeness and accuracy. Due to the time required for title analysis, it generally takes thirty (30) days before our owners receive the corresponding Division Order.

Why didn't I receive a check?
Executed Division Orders must be received five (5) business days prior to the check run in order for the revenue to be released. If your Division Order is received after this time, your check will not be released until the following month's check run.

When will I receive my first check?

Checks are mailed on or about the 10th of each month. Revenue will be paid only after it reaches $100.00 or as required by applicable state statute. You may make a request in writing to receive your revenue when it reaches $25.00. Owners who have less than $100 but more than $1 for the year will receive a check in November.

Does Mark L. Shidler, Inc. offer Direct Deposit?

We do not currently offer direct deposit.

What if I do not receive my check or if it is lost or stolen or becomes outdated?

Contact Owner Relations if you have not received your check within ten business days following the 25th day of the previous month. If your check is outdated, send it back to Owner Relations with a written request for a reissued check. Please include your signature.

What are "Stale dated" Checks?

Our revenue checks are not negotiable after 90 days. If you did not deposit your check within that time frame, we must re-issue the check. Please return the check to our Revenue Department and we will take the necessary steps to include this amount (with full detail) on your next revenue check.

Why is backup withholding deducted from my revenue check?

A valid Tax Identification Number or Social Security Number must be provided to Mark L. Shidler, Inc. for reporting and identification purposes. If it is not, the Internal Revenue Service requires withholding of 28% of all revenues (30% for foreign residents) until the information is provided.​​​​

Why does my payment differ from others in my family?

There are several reasons this may occur, including:

• Ownership type and percentage between family members may not be equal.

• Family members may have an interest in different properties.

• One party may be in a suspense pay status.

• One party's payment amount may include activity related to stale dated or returned checks.

What is the purpose of my Owner Number?

You have been assigned an exclusive owner number to distinguish you from Mark L. Shidler, Inc.'s other interest owners. When communicating with Mark L. Shidler, Inc., please include your owner number.



Mark L. Shidler, Inc. Assumes Management Responsibility of Plains Production, Inc.
(Houston, TX – January 2, 2020) Mark L. Shidler, Inc. is pleased to announce that effective, January 1, 2020, it has assumed day-...
Continue Reading...
Mark L. Shidler, Inc. Attends the TIPRO Nasdaq Market Close Ceremony on Monday, September 15th, 2014
      © 2014, The NASDAQ OMX Group, Inc. (New York, September 15, 2014, From Left: Jeffrey H. Shidler ...
Continue Reading...

Contact Us

Mark L. Shidler, Inc.
1313 Campbell Rd., Bldg. D
Houston, TX 77055

Tel: 713-222-9291
Fax: 713-224-5523
8am-5pm CST M - F